The motivation of the OPEN RFID projects is to create the necessaries tools for experimenting and testing the security of different RFID implementations.
Concretely, the OPEN RFID Interface project implements an All-In-One interface for reading, writing, sniffing, cloning, emulating and testing any low frequency tag. This project is complimented with the "OPEN RFID Tag" project.
Several solutions are already available - like OPEN PCD or PROXMARK - but none of them are focused in the 125KHz tags, are too expensive or too complex.
OPEN RFID Interface has been designed with the next objectives:
- Educative. Simple enough to understand the inner working. Easy to develop new firmware and collaborate with the project
- Create a flexible and powerful interface.
- Cheap and easy to build. All the parts are easily found in any electronic store.
- Work with any low frequency tag (from 100 KHz to 150 KHz).
- USB and RS232 connection.
- Autonomous mode for logging tags.
A prototype version was built using a 16F microcontroller and an almost 100% functional firmware was coded in ASM.
Due to the lack of USB port and low memory, a new prototype version has been designed using a 18F14K50 microcontroller (with a USB controller). Actually, I am finishing to port the old ASM firmware to C. When finished, I will upload he schematics and code.
More info in the next weeks